Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Things I've been missing

Hi all. I thought I would get the post out of the way where I whine about the things I miss from Texas, and then I can move on to bigger and happier things!

 First of all I miss the breakfast foods; especially kolaches and tacos!!! For those of you who don't know what a kolache is, think of an amped up pigs in a blanket with more choices for fillings. For example, there is sausage & cheese, ham egg & cheese, potato egg & cheese...and anything with jalapeno - my mouth is watering just typing this!! These delicious breakfast treats are courtesy of the Czech influence in Texas and they can be found in any donut shop in the state. There are even full chains dedicated to serving nothing but kolaches (Kolache Factory). Since moving here we have had to learn to make our own kolaches and they've  been decent but not the same :(



Lately I have also been desperately missing tacos, and no I don't mean the kind with ground beef. Breakfast tacos are another staple in central Texas breakfast cuisine.  So much so that there are entire restaurants dedicated to nothing but tacos such as !Torchy'sTacodeli and Lolita's to name a delicious few!

Lastly, and possibly the most important of all, I miss the margaritas!!!! We have been in Phoenix for almost five months now and I have yet to find a good margarita for under $8 because let's face it, I'm admittedly cheap and refuse to spend that much on a drink I know shouldn't cost more than $6. On that note, if you are ever in the Austin area on a Tuesday,  Thursday or Sunday do yourself a favor and go to El Mercado on South 1st and get a grandote margarita... you won't regret it :)

Ok enough whining.  Arizona does have some pretty great places too. So far we have ventured to the McDowell Mountains here in Scottsdale, Sedona,  Flagstaff and Payson and all were gorgeous...but I'll talk about those later. :)

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment