Saturday, November 2, 2013

Big Rocks & Wedding Bells & Delicious Egg Sandwiches



So I'm a little behind...but I'M ENGAGED!!!!!! I have been for over a month now...but that is beside the point. So I apologize in advance if this blog starts involving a lot of wedding planning, but I think I'm allowed!

So first, for the story since that is what everyone cares about. The weekend of September 7 Paul decided to take advantage of flight benefits and head to Houston for a "boy's weekend". I didn't think anything of it and was looking forward to a little bit of alone time. Little did I know, Paul had a nice shiny ring in his bag and although he didn't lie about going to spend time with his friends, he also made a secret visit to my parent's house and took them out to dinner to ask for their blessing. The next Friday, Friday the 13th, I got out of work early and send Paul a text asking if he wanted to grab a drink for Happy Hour. He answered he was already home, so not thinking anything of it I headed towards our apartment.

I pulled into the garage and walked inside and was met by Paul in the kitchen. He said hi and kissed me, which I didn't think anything of until he covered my eyes and started urging me around the corner towards the living room. That’s when I heard the music playing. We get to the living room and he lets me open my eyes. On the coffee table I see a pretty wooden jewelry box (which I have wanted for a while), a bouquet of pretty flowers and a small velvet box that had fancy chocolates all around it in the shape of a heart. I looked up at Paul not sure what to think before he tells me to open the velvet box. I open it and to my surprise there is a beautiful pair of sparkly dangle earrings. Somewhere in the emotional rainbow between excited and only slightly disappointed I turned to him to say thank you to find him next to me with another velvet box in his hand - this one with a gorgeous sparkly ring! Of course I said YES through only a few happy tears! Paul will never admit it, but he cried a little too, but shhhhh I didn't tell you that ;) I hope getting engaged on Friday the 13th isn’t too much bad luck!

Since then, we have made a few trips to Austin and have picked our venue and our date; we will be getting married 11/8/2014 at the beautiful Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs Mansion!



But now onto my new delicious egg sandwich - they are crazy simple so don’t get too excited, but I love them! I love them so much that I seem to be eating them every week. It started with my love hate relationship with avocado. I’m picky when it comes to texture, which ruled out avocados for the majority of my life. I’m trying to overcome this by finding ways to eat it where it isn’t what hits my tongue first. I know that makes me sound a little crazy…but just go with it.

So I think this sandwich tastes best on potato buns that I usually have left over from making our homemade vegan sweet potato burgers…but thanks to an outage at the store I had to settle for whole grain buns from Sprouts.

Here is what you need (makes 1 sandwich):
·        1 hamburger like bun of your choosing (you can also use regular sandwich bread)
·        1 sandwich size slice of cheese
·        1 egg
·        ½ Avocado
·        2 Tbsp salsa
·        Salt & Pepper to taste



Steps:
1.     Spray small non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat
2.     Beat the egg in a cup or bowl. Mix in salt & pepper to taste
3.     Slice your half avocado into 3 or 4 slices.
4.     Open your bun and spread 1 Tbsp of salsa on bottom half and top with cheese slice
5.     Pour egg into skillet and scramble. Once it begins to solidify, try shaping it into a solid round or rectangular shape and flip, instead of constant ‘stirring’. Once cooked, use spatula to place your egg ‘patty’ onto the bottom bun.
6.     Top egg with avocado, remaining 1 tbsp of salsa and the top of the bun

7.     ENJOY!!!! J


No comments:

Post a Comment